Apply for a permit

A Unitywater Trade Waste Discharge Permit is required for a business that is or will be carrying out any of the following activities:

  • discharging any liquid waste to the drainage system, other than domestic waste (domestic waste is from a toilet, hand basin or a kitchen sink used for personal use);
  • washing up or cleaning any utensil or apparatus that is a component of the business and then discharging the waste into the drainage system;
  • conducting a commercial/industrial process that produces a contaminated liquid waste (i.e. anything that is non-domestic liquid waste that contains chemicals or residue from a commercial or industrial process);
  • having any pre-treatment devices installed on the property that will be connected to the drainage system.

Permit fees

There is an application / assessment fee when applying for a new or revised permit. There may also be fees for renewing your permit.

Trade waste fees are charged either annually (in advance or arrears) or 6-monthly (in advance or arrears). See our fees and charges for standard prices. Please contact us if you have any questions relating to your payment arrangements.

    Did You Know
  • A running tap, in an average hand basin, uses up to 20 litres of water per minute.