Before you start your project

Before starting your renovation or extension project, you must check whether there are any registered easements or infrastructure you need to take into account.

In addition to Unitywater easements and water and sewer infrastructure, there may also be electricity, road easements, fire trails, stock routes and other infrastructure to consider. 

The process you should follow: 

You check if there are any water or sewerage easements on your property

Do this by purchasing a title search and survey plan via Department of Natural Resources and Mines.

You design your building work to avoid encroaching on any Unitywater easement if identified within your property

If this is not possible then you can ask us for approval for an encroachment.

Unitywater will assess your encroachment application (if needed)

You check if there are any Unitywater assets on your property or your neighbour's property

Do this by requesting a Detailed Infrastructure Plan from us online. 

If there are any assets, you need to engage a building certifier

The building certifier assess your proposed building work against the Queensland Development Code MP 1.4 – Building over or near relevant infrastructure. 

If the code conditions cannot be met, then your certifier will help you apply to build over or near infrastructure

You must use the documents and checklist on our building and renovating page if you need to build over or near infrastructure.

What you need to do: 

  1. Talk to your local council first and gain approval (as rules for additional dwellings can vary between councils). 

  2. We recommend you engage a professional, such as a town planner or engineer, to prepare your application. 

  3. Apply and pay for Unitywater to install new connections and alter any existing connections. We will undertake the work for you.

  4. You will also need to pay an infrastructure charge. This charge offsets the cost of any extra demand your second dwelling may place on our water or sewerage networks. 

What you need to get started:

To apply for connection of your second dwelling or duplex, you will need:

  • the land owner’s consent, plus the owner’s consent for any property affected by the proposed work e.g. adjoining land through which access may be required
  • the lot and plan number for your block
  • a location plan showing your preferred location(s) for your new or re-located meters and the current location of any existing meter
  • the meter number of any existing meter
  • a floor plan of the new dwelling
  • numbers and dates for any existing Unitywater or council approvals.

2 easy ways to apply:

Online at My Account under the 'My requests' tab

Download Standard Connection Request (PDF 117KB)

The process you should follow:

Step 1
You submit your application
Step 2
We will notify you of the outcome (decision notice) and provide an infrastructure charges notice (ICN)

Within 5 working days: Issuing the decision notice

Within 10 working days: Issuing the ICN

Step 3
We will send you a quote for the new connection
Within 15 working days of our decision notice and ICN
Step 4
You pay for your quoted works and the ICN
Step 5
Unitywater completes the work
Within 20 working days of payment

A surcharge will apply for credit card payments (Mastercard and Visa) on Sundry accounts being paid at our Maroochydore and Caboolture counters or over the phone with the Credit Card Payment Authority form. Find out more