Does your block already have a water meter and sewerage connection?


The majority of blocks will already have a water meter installed and sewerage connection point.

If this is the case, then you do not need to involve Unitywater.

Your plumber can connect your new house to the existing water meter and sewerage network. It is recommended you request a detailed infrastructure plan so the plumber can locate the sewerage connection point.

Almost all blocks are in this category.



If your block was developed prior to 2009 and has not previously had a building on it, it is possible that you may not have an existing connection point.

First, physically inspect the area along the front boundary of the property to look for a water meter. You can also check our online infrastructure locations map or request a detailed infrastructure plan for your block.

If there are no connections, you will need to apply for Unitywater to install new connections for you by either of the following:

Very few blocks fall into this category – please check before applying.

Online at My Account under the 'My requests' tab

Download the Standard Connection Request (PDF 117KB)

Before you start your project

Before starting your renovation or extension project, you must check whether there are any registered easements or infrastructure you need to take into account.

In addition to Unitywater easements and water and sewer infrastructure, there may also be electricity, road easements, fire trails, stock routes and other infrastructure to consider. 

The process you should follow: 

You check if there are any water or sewerage easements on your property

Do this by purchasing a title search and survey plan via Department of Natural Resources and Mines.

You design your building work to avoid encroaching on any Unitywater easement if identified within your property

If this is not possible then you can ask us for approval for an encroachment.

Unitywater will assess your encroachment application (if needed)

You check if there are any Unitywater assets on your property or your neighbour's property

Do this by requesting a Detailed Infrastructure Plan from us online. 

If there are any assets, you need to engage a building certifier

The building certifier assess your proposed building work against the Queensland Development Code MP 1.4 – Building over or near relevant infrastructure. 

If the code conditions cannot be met, then your certifier will help you apply to build over or near infrastructure

You must use the documents and checklist on our building and renovating page if you need to build over or near infrastructure.

To apply for a new connection, you will need:

  • the land owner’s consent, plus the owner’s consent for any property affected by the proposed work e.g. adjoining land through which access may be required
  • the lot and plan number for your block
  • a location plan showing your preferred meter location
  • numbers and dates for any existing Unitywater or council approvals.

2 easy ways to apply:

Online at My Account under the 'My requests' tab

Download Standard Connection Request (PDF 117KB)

The process you should follow:

Step 1
You submit your application

Some services are provided for a fixed fee, and new water connections and sewer connections require a Unitywater quote. 

Step 2
You receive and pay for your water/sewerage connection quote
Quotes are provided within 15 days, and we will prioritise new water connections to get you the quote sooner.  
Step 3
Unitywater installs the new connection
Within 20 working days of payment.

A surcharge will apply for credit card payments (Mastercard and Visa) on Sundry accounts being paid at our Maroochydore and Caboolture counters or over the phone with the Credit Card Payment Authority form. Find out more