Application process

For subdivision projects or extensions, modification of the existing water and sewerage mains is normally required, which can make this type of application complex.

Approval to proceed can be gained from a single application. This is referred to as a combined connection application and network works application, and requires significant detail to be provided about the proposed changes to infrastructure.

If you would like to proceed but don’t yet have detailed network designs ready, you can submit your application in two steps:

  1. The first step reserves network capacity for your project. We call this a connection application and approval, but others may call this a development permit for Material Change of Use (MCU) or Reconfiguring of Lots (RoL).

  2. The second step application enables us to assess the proposed design for your network construction. We call this network works approval but others may refer to this as a development permit for operational works.

The assessment time is 20 days per step. You are not able to start construction until you have network works approval.

Before you apply:

Sub-division projects can be complex and involved. We recommend you request a Services Advice Notice (SAN) before you start.

This is a free service we provide that will help ensure you are able to submit a complete application and proceed quickly through the approvals process.

Services Advice Notice F9289 (PDF 140KB)

Single land subdivision subdividing and developing

Single land subdivision subdividing and developing 2

What you need to get started:

To submit your application for a residential sub-division with single land release, you will need:

  • the land owner’s consent, plus the owner’s consent for any property affected by the proposed work e.g. adjoining land through which access may be required
  • street plan that adequately locates the property for this connection
  • subdivision plan
  • development plan
  • network demand assessment.

If your development requires work on the water or sewer mains, you will also need:

  • network works design calculations
  • network works design drawings
  • networks analysis reports for water and sewerage.

Depending on the size and complexity of your development, extra demand may be placed on Unitywater networks. Additional reports or documents on the impact of the development may need to accompany the application. These include:

  • a supporting report on the proposed development
  • servicing strategies for the development
  • networks analysis reports
  • a subdivision development staging plan
  • a network staging plan.

Before applying, you’ll need to consider if approval is required to build or carry out work near Unitywater’s infrastructure.

Apply now with a Connection Application Form F9293 (PDF 380KB)

5 phases of a subdivision project:

Residential sub-division projects step through the following 5 phases. Subdivisions without extensions or modification of the mains skip the construction and handover phases which relate to the mains infrastructure.

You will be planning your development and preparing plans in this phase and submitting documents to council and Unitywater for approval.

We recommend that you request a Service Advice Notice (SAN) during this phase. The SAN is provided free by Unitywater and will help you submit a complete application and ensure your application is assessed in the shortest time possible. As part of the SAN service you can also request a face-to-face meeting.

Services Advice Notice F9289 (PDF 140 KB)

In this phase, you submit your documentation and plans for your connection and network works approvals. The network works approval is only needed if you need to extend or modify the infrastructure. These two applications can be submitted together or one after the other.

During this phase, we may request additional information from you to help us to assess your application. 

You submit your connection application

You can pay to fast track your connection application. This reduces the assessment time from 20 to 5 days. 

You submit your network works application (if needed)
We may request further information (if needed)
Within 20 working days of receiving your complete application. Or 5 days for the connection application if it was fast tracked.
Unitywater sends you our decision notice
Within 20 working days of receiving your complete application or your response to our request for further information. Or 5 days for the connection application if it was fast tracked.
Unitywater sends you an infrastructure charges notice
Within 10 days of the decision notice.
Your development is ready to commence
You now move to the construction phase, if applicable.

Once we have completed the assessment, we will send you our decision notice. Our decision notice will detail how long it is valid for - this is typically 4 years.

You will also receive an infrastructure charges notice (ICN). This charge offsets our costs of ensuring that the extra demand your new sub-division places on our network is catered for. You do not have to pay this fee until you are ready to connect your new development or infrastructure to the live network. 

Apply now with a Connection Application Form F9293 (PDF 380KB)

Developments that involve extension or modification of the mains will involve a construction phase in which you or your sub-contractors construct the new main.

The construction phase always starts with a pre-start meeting on site between your consulting engineer, your contractor (or principal contractor and sub-contractor) and a Unitywater inspector.

You request a pre-start meeting
You start construction on the network works
You submit any variations for approval (if needed)

Minor variations will be approved by an inspector. Larger amendments will require approval by a Unitywater engineer. 

You finalise construction
Your development is ready to move to the live connection phase

During construction, you may need to request a variation to the approved plans. Minor variations, such as realigning a single section of water or sewer main or repositioning a hydrant or stop valve, can be approved on site by a Unitywater inspector. Larger amendments will need to be approved by a Unitywater engineer. The Connections Administration Manual provides full details.

Request a pre-start meeting F9295 (PDF 203KB) 


All Developments will involve a live connection phase. It is in this phase that you must pay your ICN and receive your certificate of completion.

If your development did not involve network works, then the phase proceeds as follows:

You request a quote and pay for your services to be connected

Do this by submitting a Private Works application (F10001).

You pay your ICN
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your certifier prepares Certificate of Completion
 And submits to Unitywater for approval.
If your development did involve network works, then proceed as follows:

Your certifier submits an On-maintenance request
You pay a bond

Which will be returned after you have successfully completed the maintenance period.

Your Construction Certifier inspects the work

If defects are found these need to be rectified and the work re-inspected.

You pay your ICN
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your certifier prepares your Certificate of Completion

This is submitted to Unitywater for approval.

Your development enters the On-maintenance period

This is usually 12 months long.

After receiving your Certificate of Completion and the network is live, you remain financially liable for any defects identified. This is known as the On-Maintenance period, which usually applies for 12 months.

What you need:

  • A final survey plan
  • Payment of Infrastructure Charges
  • Payment of live connection fee
  • Development plans/designs.

Submit an on-maintenance request F9296 (PDF 210KB)

This phase only applies to developments that require network works, and marks the handover of the network assets and their maintenance to Unitywater. Your certifier initiates this phase by submitting an Off-maintenance Request, after your On-maintenance period has ended.

Your certifier submits an Off-maintenance request
Your Construction Certifier inspects the work

If any defects are identified you must remedy them and request a re-inspection.

Following a successful audit, Unitywater returns your bond

Your development is complete.

Photo of North Lakes

A surcharge will apply for credit card payments (Mastercard and Visa) on Sundry accounts being paid at our Maroochydore and Caboolture counters or over the phone with the Credit Card Payment Authority form. Find out more