Plastic... not so fantastic
Unitywater's Back to Tap project encourages everyone to keep our waterways clean and our local turtles protected from plastic pollution simply by drinking tap water instead of buying bottled water.
Queensland banned plastic shopping bags on 1 July 2018. Let's do the same with single-use plastic water bottles!
Refilling your reusable water bottle at the tap is cheaper and better for the environment. It’s another great way to reduce your plastic waste.
Did you know?
- Every year, more than 7 million tonnes of rubbish ends up in the world’s oceans, 80% of which is plastic.
- Plastic never biodegrades; it breaks up into smaller and smaller pieces, gradually turning our waterways and oceans into ‘plastic soup’.
- Waterway litter is extremely harmful to wildlife that become entangled or mistake litter for food, resulting in injury or death.
- Up to 30% of turtle deaths in Moreton Bay are caused by the ingestion of plastic litter.
- Waterway litter causes the death of 100,000 marine mammals per year, including dugongs, turtles and whales.
Source: Healthy Waterways