We offer a range of payment plans to help customers who have trouble paying their water and sewerage bills. Our aim is to help you avoid having debts build up. 

If you cannot pay your account in full and your overdue bill remains unpaid, we have options available to avoid further credit action:

1. Set up Smoothpay online and adhere to the payment schedule. 

2. Call us on 1300 086 489 to organise a payment plan and adhere to the payment schedule

If you miss two instalment payments within a six month period, we will cancel your Smoothpay or payment plan and notify you of the cancellation. 

We will only take the following action if you have not set up Smoothpay or a payment plan. 


Further action may be taken, which may include:

  • referral of the debt to a collection agency

  • installation of a restriction device on your water meter

  • commencement of legal action to recover the debt.

Please call us on 1300 086 489 as soon as possible if your overdue bill is unpaid. Where possible, please call before the due date. 

If you call us to set up a payment plan, we can stop the overdue and reminder notices from being sent to you, and prevent the above steps from being taken. 

We will work with you to organise a payment plan to suit your circumstances, especially for those customers who are experiencing genuine financial hardship.

Please refer to our Credit Management Policy.


Call us now on 1300 086 489

if your overdue bill is unpaid

There are several payment options to pay your account including:

  • BPAY
  • credit card (online or by phone)
  • cheque by mail
  • in person at any Australia Post outlet.

Will I be charged interest on late payments?

Yes. Interest charges of 8% per annum, compounding daily, will apply to any outstanding balance after the due date on your bill. Any interest charges will appear on your next bill. If you need extra time to pay, please request a 7-day extension or set up a payment plan.

Restricted water supply

If we don't hear from you to organise a payment arrangement for your unpaid overdue bill and/or the payment schedule is not followed, Unitywater may take a credit action step, one of which may be to restrict your water supply.

The restriction credit process considers a wide range of factors including your payment history and adherence to payment plan schedules. 

Please note: We restrict water supply only when customers will not pay - not when they cannot pay. Customers who work with us to arrange and adhere to a payment plan will not have their water supply restricted.

Restricted water supply FAQs

Your water supply will be restricted, not cut off. The water flow from taps and shower heads will be significantly reduced. For health and safety reasons you will be able to access some water, however you can expect the restriction to be a major inconvenience.

Notice of intent to restrict water supply notice being put into letterbox

Within 14 days of the date of the Notice to Restrict Water Supply, unless you pay the overdue amount in full within these 14 days

An Intent to Restrict card is also left in the letterbox at least three days before the restrictor is installed.

If your bills remain overdue or unpaid and we have not received notification that you have set up Smoothpay or another payment plan, we may send you a Notice to Restrict Water Supply.

You need to make full payment of the outstanding account by within 14 days of the date of the Notice to Restrict Water Supply. Contact us immediately on 1300 664 389 to discuss a suitable payment plan arrangement or to pay the account in full to ensure your water supply is not restricted.

To restore your water supply once restricted, you need to make full payment of the outstanding account plus all costs of applying and removing the restriction device ($190). 

If this is not possible, you can enter into an acceptable payment plan arrangement. Once the first agreed payment is received, Unitywater will arrange for the restriction device to be removed. If you call us to let us know you have made a payment and supply us with the payment reference number, we can work with you to get the restriction device removed.

Once the bill is paid in full or a payment plan is set up, the restrictor will normally be removed on the same day unless the Field Services crew is attending an emergency or the payment was received late in the day.

Please contact us on 1300 086 489

Due to Privacy Act restrictions,we can’t discuss details of water supply and sewerage bills for this property with you unless you are authorised by the owner. Unitywater provides written notification to a property address, as well as the postal address, if the postal address indicates the property may be tenanted.

If you are a tenant and have received a Notice to Restrict Water Supply letter at your address, please contact:

  1. Your property manager or owner of the property (if that isn’t possible, you could contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311)

  2. And then phone Unitywater on 1300 086 489 so that we may assist you.

Unitywater is allowed to restrict water supply under the Customer Water and Wastewater Code (South East Queensland) – Section 12 and Section 99AT of the South-East Queensland Water (Distribution and Retail Restructuring) Act 2009.