You will need to have a Building Certifier assess your proposed building work against the Queensland Development Code MP 1.4 – Building over or near relevant infrastructure. Where these conditions cannot be met, you’ll need to apply to Unitywater to allow us to assess the proposed work.
Examples where you will need to seek approval:
- where the clearance from Unitywater infrastructure to a fence, building or other structure will be reduced to less than 1.2 metres
- where driven piles or piers are located within 5 metres of Unitywater infrastructure
- where any building, structure or bored excavations for piers or footings are within the zone of influence1 of Unitywater infrastructure
- where earthworks are directly over or will affect the structural integrity of Unitywater infrastructure
- where the vertical height to the finished surface over Unitywater infrastructure will be reduced to less than 2.4 metres.
1: DEFINITION of zone of influence: a line projected at a 45-degree angle from the invert of the sewer to the natural surface. This may be affected by factors including groundwater and soil type and must be determined by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland.
If you're planning to put in a standard driveway over or near water or sewerage infrastructure, you do not need to apply for approval from Unitywater. (Non-standard driveways may require our approval.) However you may need approval from your local council. Search your council's website for "driveway" or "vehicle crossover" for more information.
To apply, you’ll need the following:
- site plan showing all existing and proposed buildings/structures, water and sewerage infrastructure and the property connections to that infrastructure
- statement of reasons showing which of the acceptable solution(s) from the Queensland Development Code 1.4 can’t be met and a statement of how the related performance requirement(s) within the code are achieved
- elevation views of the proposed building work showing water and sewerage infrastructure
- structural engineering design drawings of the footings/foundations for the proposed building work showing water and sewerage infrastructure. Please include the Form 15 Design Certificate that your structural engineer will provide.
Where an easement exists you’ll also need to provide a copy of your consent for encroachment and conditions.
Download and complete the following form:
Build Over Unitywater Infrastructure Application Form (F8684)