For water and sewerage connection approvals

Find a Registered Certifier

Get connected now

Application process

Approvals for subdivision projects or extensions can be complex because they typically require modifications to the existing water and sewerage mains.

You need to apply for:

  1. A connection approval. This step reserves network capacity for your project.
  2. Network works approval. In this step we assess the proposed design for construction of any network infrastructure.

These can be submitted and approved as single application, referred to as a combined connection application and network works application, or separately if your detailed network designs are not ready.

Each step takes 10 days to approve and construction is not allowed to start until you have network works approval.

A Registered Certifier from our Accreditation Register helps you to achieve timely approvals by preparing, assessing and submitting your applications to us for approval.

Before applying to connect:

Because subdivision projects can be complex, we recommend you request a Services Advice Notice (SAN) before starting your connection application.

This free service saves you time and cost by providing upfront advice that helps you understand what’s involved in applying to connect, and what supporting information is required to lodge a successful application.

Before lodging a SAN, talk to your certifier as they may be able to provide similar advice in a quicker timeframe.

Services Advice Notice (online form) 

Single land subdivision subdividing and developing

Single land subdivision subdividing and developing 2

What you need to get started:

To submit your application for a residential sub-division with single land release, you will need:

  • the land owner’s consent
  • consent from owners of any nearby property affected by the proposed work, e.g. if access is required
  • a street plan that adequately locates the property for this connection
  • subdivision or development plan (if available)
  • network demand assessment.

If your development requires work on the water or sewer mains, you may also need:

  • network works design calculations
  • network works design drawings
  • networks analysis reports for water and sewerage (if required).

For substantial developments that place extra demand on our networks, you may need to supply additional information so we can assess the impact your development will have.

This includes:

  • supporting report on the proposed development
  • servicing strategies for the development
  • networks analysis reports
  • a subdivision development staging plan
  • a network staging plan (master plan).

Before applying, you’ll need to consider if approval is required to build or carry out work near Unitywater’s infrastructure.

5 phases of connecting to our network:

If your residential subdivision involves extensions or modifications to our mains infrastructure, there are 5 approval phases to work through before handing over the assets to Unitywater to maintain: Planning, Application, Construction, Connection and Final Acceptance.

If network extensions or modifications aren’t required, the Construction and Final Acceptance phases do not apply.

A Registered Certifier helps you navigate each of these phases and get your project to market quicker.

 For connection applications they assist with:

  • Preparing and submitting your connection application
  • Identifying allowable yield for the site
  • Finding any existing approvals on the site or on adjacent sites
  • Determining whether the existing water and sewer network can accommodate your development, or if additional infrastructure is required
  • Providing design advice on Unitywater-approved allowable servicing solutions
  • Calculating the demand your development imposes on our network
  • Calculating Infrastructure Charges payable with development
  • Preparing your Certificate of Completion, for Unitywater’s approval.

 If network works are required, they also help with:

  • Preparing and submitting your network works application
  • Conducting an on-site pre-start meeting on our behalf
  • Ensuring your contractor understands Unitywater’s requirements
  • Flagging and fixing any issues that could delay your approval
  • Completing final inspections
  • Conducting final testing of constructed works
  • Arranging live connections
  • Managing handover of network infrastructure to Unitywater.

Once you choose an Accredited Entity from our Accreditation Register, they will allocate the right type of certifier to best assist with your project.

In this phase you will be planning your development, preparing plans and submitting documents to council and Unitywater for approval.

We recommend that you start by requesting a Service Advice Notice (SAN). This free service guides you on how to submit a complete application and ensures your application is assessed in the shortest time possible.

What you need

  • Pre-lodgement advice from council, if received
  • Approvals from council, if received
  • Development plans/designs.

Services Advice Notice (online form)

In this phase, your certifier submits your documentation and plans for your connection and network works approvals. The network works approval is only necessary if extensions or modifications to our mains infrastructure are required. These two applications can be submitted together or one after the other.

What you need:

  • A Unitywater SAN
  • Approvals from council
  • Development plans/designs.

This phase only applies to developments that involve you or your contractors making extensions or modifications to our mains infrastructure.

What you need:

  • Approvals from council and Unitywater
  • A contractor to complete the works.

A Major Connection Certifier and a Construction Certifier work together during this phase to prevent delays by ensuring all work is carried out to Unitywater’s satisfaction.

All developments involve a live connection phase. In this phase you pay your Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN) and receive a Certificate of Completion.

A Major Connection Certifier and a Construction Certifier work together to assist with arranging live connections, final inspections, network testing and managing handover of infrastructure to Unitywater.

Live connections to our water network are carried out exclusively by our Private Works team. Your contractor is able to make a connection to our sewer network, under the supervision of a Major Connection Certifier and Construction Certifier. This gives you greater control over the time it takes to get connected.

If your development does not involve network works, this process applies:

You request a quote and pay for your services to be connected

Do this by submitting a Private Works application (F10001).

You pay your ICN
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your certifier prepares Certificate of Completion
 And submits to Unitywater for approval.

What you need:

  • A final survey plan
  • Payment of Infrastructure Charges
  • Payment of live connection fee.

If your development does involve network works, this process applies:

Your certifier submits an On-maintenance request
You pay a bond

Which will be returned after you have successfully completed the maintenance period.

Your Construction Certifier inspects the work

If defects are found these need to be rectified and the work re-inspected.

You pay your ICN
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your certifier prepares your Certificate of Completion

This is submitted to Unitywater for approval.

Your development enters the On-maintenance period

This is usually 12 months long.

After receiving your Certificate of Completion and the network is live, you remain financially liable for any defects identified. This is known as the On-Maintenance period, which usually applies for 12 months.

What you need:

  • A final survey plan
  • Payment of Infrastructure Charges
  • Payment of live connection fee
  • Development plans/designs.

Submit an on-maintenance request F9296 (PDF 210KB)

This phase only applies to developments that require network works, and marks the handover of the network assets and their maintenance to Unitywater. Your certifier initiates this phase by submitting an Off-maintenance Request, after your On-maintenance period has ended.

Your certifier submits an Off-maintenance request
Your Construction Certifier inspects the work

If any defects are identified you must remedy them and request a re-inspection.

Following a successful audit, Unitywater returns your bond

Your development is complete.

Photo of North Lakes

A surcharge will apply for credit card payments (Mastercard and Visa) on Sundry accounts being paid at our Maroochydore and Caboolture counters or over the phone with the Credit Card Payment Authority form. Find out more