For water and sewerage connection approvals

Find a Registered Certifier

Get connected now

Before applying to connect

Because multi-unit developments can be complex, we recommend you request a Services Advice Notice (SAN) before starting your connection application.

This free service saves you time and cost by providing upfront advice that helps you understand what’s involved in applying to connect, and what supporting information is required to lodge a successful application.

Before lodging a SAN, talk to your certifier as they may be able to provide similar advice in a quicker timeframe.

Services Advice Notice (online form)

What to submit with your application after the Services Advice Notice

You will need:

  • the land owner’s consent
  • consent from owners of any nearby property affected by the proposed work, e.g. if access is required
  • the Lot and Plan Number of your property
  • a street plan that adequately locates the property
  • construction plans showing gross floor area
  • hydraulic plans – including details of water supply and sewerage connection, and sub meters (if applicable)
  • a network demand assessment
  • a document detailing the nature of your development.

How a certifier can help

A Registered Certifier helps make the approvals process easier and faster by preparing, assessing and submitting your applications for Unitywater’s approval.

 For connection applications they help with:

  • Preparing and submitting your connection application
  • Identifying whether the existing water and sewer network can accommodate your development, or if additional infrastructure is required
  • Providing design advice on Unitywater-approved allowable servicing solutions
  • Calculating Infrastructure Charges payable with development
  • Assessing firefighting requirements
  • Identifying sub-metering requirements
  • Drafting Certificates of Completion for Unitywater’s approval.

 If network works are required, they help with:

  • Preparing and submitting your network works application
  • Conducting pre-start meetings on our behalf
  • Completing final inspections
  • Conducting final testing of construction works
  • Arranging live connections
  • Managing handover of network infrastructure to Unitywater.

Our Accreditation Register helps you find the right Registered Certifier to assist with your application and prevent any approval delays.

To standardise the approvals process, from 1 July 2021 we’ll only be accepting connection applications prepared by a Registered Certifier. We’ll assess submitted Certification Packages and issue Decision Notices within 10 business days from receipt.

5 phases of connecting to our network: 

Connecting a unit or townhouse development to our network involves up to 5 distinct approval phases. If your project does not require alterations or extensions to our water or sewer mains (network works), the Construction and Final Acceptance phases do not apply.

A Registered Certifier assists you with each phase of the approvals process.

In the planning phase, you will be planning your development and preparing plans and documents to submit to council and Unitywater for approval.

We recommend that you request a Service Advice Notice (SAN) during this phase. The SAN is provided free by Unitywater and will help you submit a complete application and ensure your application is assessed in the shortest time possible.

Services Advice Notice (online form)

The first step is to submit the documentation and plans for your connection application. If your development requires extensions or modifications to the existing mains, you also need to submit a networks works application. These applications can be submitted together or separately, by your Registered Certifier.

What you need:

  • A Unitywater SAN
  • Approvals from council, if received
  • Development plans/designs.

This phase only applies to developments that involve you or your sub-contractors making extensions or modifications to our water or sewer mains.

The construction phase always starts with an onsite pre-start meeting between you or your consulting engineer, your contractor (or principal contractor and sub-contractor) and a Registered Certifier, who acts on Unitywater’s behalf.

A Major Connection Certifier and a Construction Certifier work together during this phase to prevent delays by ensuring all work is carried out to Unitywater’s satisfaction.

What you need:

  • Approvals from council and Unitywater
  • A contractor to complete the works.

All developments involve a live connection phase. In this phase you pay your Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN) and receive a Certificate of Completion.

Live connections to our network are carried out exclusively by our Private Works team. These industry specialists help guarantee the safety of our water supply by ensuring there is no risk of contamination during the connection process.

If your development did not involve network works, then the connection phase proceeds as below.

Your Registered Certifier requests your services to be connected
You pay your Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN)
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your Registered Certifier prepares your Certificate of Completion

And submits to Unitywater for approval.

What you need:

  • Completion of contracted works.

All developments involve a live connection phase. In this phase you pay your Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN) and receive a Certificate of Completion.

Developments that involve upgrades or extensions to our mains (network works), go through an On-maintenance phase to ensure infrastructure is operating correctly. This proceeds as follows:

Your certifier prepares an On-maintenance Package
And submits to Unitywater for approval.
You pay a bond

This is returned after your works have successfully completed the defect liability period.

Your Registered Certifier inspects the works

If defects are found, these need to be rectified and the work re-inspected.

You pay the Infrastructure Charges Notice (ICN)
Unitywater establishes the live network connection

This is undertaken by our Private Works team.

Your certifier submits a Certificate of Completion

For Unitywater approval.

Your development enters the On-maintenance period

This is usually 12 months long.

After receiving the Certificate of Completion and the network is live, you remain financially liable for any defects identified until the defect liability period ends and the works pass an Off-maintenance inspection.

What you need:

  • Payment of Infrastructure Charges
  • Payment of live connection fee.

This phase involves the Final Acceptance of the network assets and their maintenance to Unitywater. It only applies if network works were required.

You initiate this by submitting an Off-maintenance Request to Unitywater when the On-maintenance period has ended.

Once the works have been inspected to the satisfaction of a Construction Certifier, we return your bond and your development is complete. 

If defects are detected, they need to be rectified and re-inspected before Final Acceptance is finalised. 

What you need:

  • Inspection by a Construction Certifier
  • Your certifier submits an Off-Maintenance

Important note about sub-metering of existing buildings and complexes 

  1. It is possible to retrofit individual water meters to existing buildings or unit complexes.
  2. The body corporate must approve and apply for this retrofit on behalf of the owners. A copy of the body corporate minutes approving the retrofit of sub-meters must accompany the application.
  3. Retrofitting sub-meters will be at the cost of the owners or the body corporate.
  4. Unitywater advises that a private plumbing contractor should be consulted in regard to the feasibility of retrofitting sub-meters to an existing building. There may be a cost associated with the plumbing installation/augmentation that will need consideration.
  5. Once you are ready to proceed, your plumber can find all the information they need in the sub-metering for plumbers section.

A surcharge will apply for credit card payments (Mastercard and Visa) on Sundry accounts being paid at our Maroochydore and Caboolture counters or over the phone with the Credit Card Payment Authority form. Find out more